Desert Colors – Arizona Plein Air
Desert Colors – Arizona Plein Air
April 6, 2022-April 7, 2022
Full-Day 8 hours 8-5
$355/2 Day Workshop
Unlock the secrets of plein air painting in the beautiful saguaro filled scenery of the Sonoran Desert with award winning artist Bill Cramer. Daily demos and discussions will illuminate a variety of approaches that can be used to create meaningful studies and finished works. Bill will offer real time critiques of your efforts with an eye toward expanding your artistic sensibilities. Classes will take place outdoors in the composition rich deserts surrounding Tucson.
I grew up in the west and have always had an interest in exploring nature and creating art. As a longtime rock climber, I spent (misspent?) much of my youth enjoying the more vertical aspects of the landscape. After receiving a University of California fine arts degree, my wife Michelle and I moved to Arizona to be closer to the scenery we both enjoyed. It was there that I discovered the delight and challenges of plein air painting. My plein air work, along with my outdoor adventuring, has provided me insights into the landscape that I bring with me back to the studio.
I work in a style best described as Impressionistic Realism, where strong brushwork and colors are used to express the vitality and beauty of the natural world. I look for a balance between the actual scene and my reaction to it – not to paint precisely what I see, but to paint what I want the viewer to see. Every landscape is greater than the obvious visual elements. The push of an evening breeze, the feel of sun baked sandstone, the scent of sagebrush or the sound of a raven suddenly overhead are examples of the many unseen elements that inform my work. I’m satisfied when a painting is as rich as the landscape that inspired it. My goals are to keep exploring the southwest’s wild places, search for new ideas and express what I find exciting about landscapes and about painting.
Selected Shows, Competitions & Awards –
• Oil Painters of America Annual Salon Show (2018), Landscape Award of Excellence.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2018), Best in Show, 1st in Oils and Art of the West Award of Excellence.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2017), Zion NP, UT. Artist’s Choice & Zion Forever Project Poster Award.
• Sedona Plein Air (2017), Sedona, AZ. Best in Show Award.
• Sedona Plein Air (2016), Sedona, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2016), Prescott, AZ. Best in Show, 1st in Oils & Best Body of Work Award.
• American Impressionists 16th Annual Juried Exhibition (2015). Southwest Art Magazine Award of Excellence.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2015), Prescott, AZ. 1st in Oils.
• Sedona Plein Air (2014), Sedona, AZ. Best in Show, Artist’s Choice & Collector’s Choice Awards.
• Grand Canyon National Park Plein Air Invitational (2014), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2013), Zion NP, UT. Artist’s Choice & Purchase Awards.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2013), Prescott, AZ. 1st in Oils & Best in Show.
• Zion National Park Plein Air Invitational (2012), Zion NP, UT. Two Purchase Awards.
• Grand Canyon Plein Air on the Rim (2012), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Telluride Plein Air (2012), Telluride, CO. Best in Show.
• Phippen Western Art Show (2012), Prescott, AZ. 2rd in Oils & Best Body of Work Awards.
• Grand Canyon Plein Air on the Rim (2011), Grand Canyon NP, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
• Sedona Arts Center Juried Members Show (2011), Sedona, AZ. 1st in Oils & Best in Show.
• American Impressionists Society Juried Exhibition (2010), Nashville, TN. Award of excellence.
• Sedona Plein Air Festival (2009), Sedona, AZ. Artist’s Choice Award.
Education – 1985-1989 California State University Long Beach, B.A., Fine Art, Drawing & Painting, Magna cum laude.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org – Website: www.billcramerstudio.com – Facebook: Bill Cramer Fine Art
Bill Cramer 1520 Eagle Ridge Road, Prescott, AZ 86301
Home (928)771-1406 Studio cell (92
I was honestly and completely satisfied. Bill was prepared, generous with his time and knowledge and attentive to each students needs regardless of their level. His enthusiasm was infectious and I believe everyone left the class a better painter with a deeper understanding and appreciation of the landscape.
Bill Cramer was mindful of the environment and took great care of our surroundings. He is an awesome instructor. He took the time to explain geology of the canyon when necessary that helped us understand how to paint and compose our paintings better.
Bill provided but with information on the geology and history of the area. It was incredibly helpful when, in class, he built on that foundation. Bill taught specific painting techniques, various approaches for composition under a variety of weather conditions and ways to simplify the structure visually. I found all of it very helpful.
Tubac School of Fine Art
Offering art classes and art workshops led by
nationally recognized teaching artists
in an informal, & intimate setting.#tubacschooloffineart