Confessions of a Podcast Junkie
I have a confession to make: I am a podcast junkie. To and from Crossfit, which is a 30-minute drive each way, or when I’m walking, I love to listen to podcasts. I’m never one to simply sit, but taking the time to listen while I drive or exercise feels productive to me. Both educational and inspirational podcasts usually get me excited to tackle the rest of my day. Over the next few weeks, I’ll share some of my favorite podcasts and favorite episodes of each from an artist’s perspective.
Featured Podcast for Artists
This week’s feature “take aways” include three thoughts from this interview with Morgan Samuel Price on the Plein Air Podcast with Eric Rhodes. You can find the episode here.
Foster your passion
- “The things you are passionate about are not random; they are your calling.” Fabienne Fredrickson is credited for that quote, but to me, it’s another Lou-ism. Those are phrases that I can still hear my art mentor saying whenever I create.
- Morgan Price talks about fostering your passion. To do that in art, remember that you must put in the work to reap the reward. You must learn the mechanics of art and train your muscle memory to be able to create what is you desire to create.
Beauty Uplifts us Like Nothing Else Can
- The world craves beauty. There is no denying it. Beauty takes us out of the chaos, the noise, and the negativity to a place of peace. The fact that, as artists, we are able to share with others to fill that need, doing something we love, well, that’s incredible! Lou brought together a community of artists who know the need for beauty in everyone’s life, and a yearning to share their passion for art with others. It is our underlying drive to continue sharing beauty and uplifting one another in this chaotic world in which we live.
“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
People Don’t Wake Up Thinking About You
- We may wake up each morning thinking about the activity in our lives, the things that excite us and terrify us, but other people don’t wake up thinking about us.
- So, artists, if you want people to actually buy that piece you just spent days on- researching, sketching, doing a study, and, finally, a glorious “if I do say so myself” 40 X 60 completed painting- people need to know you have this beautiful piece for sale. Even if it was a slam on the brakes, I gotta paint that scene, plein study completed in an afternoon on the side of the road. People need to see it.
- Studies show over and over people buy from those they know, like, and trust.
- It may not be that painting or the next three you share, but the more people begin to know your passions and your stories, they’ll trust you’re a serious artist. They’ll begin to remember YOU when they have excess cash to spend, when that classmate you adored is coming for a visit and their guest room walls are empty, or when the piece you painted reminds them of happy memories of home comes through their inbox.
The perfect example of why I am a podcast junkie, this episode had it all, inspiration, actionable advice and art speak! For me, this was a very uplifting interview and I hope Eric Rhodes will have Price on the show again in the future.
Want to learn more about art, art instruction and our programs?
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.